The Electrical Power and Energy Systems (EPES) Lab enables the analysis, design and implementation of complex energy and power networks from device to circuitry and system levels.
- Power hardware-in-the-loop (PHIL) system
- Test off-grid, grid-connected and microgrid technologies (OPAL-RT) to measure energy efficiency, power quality and stability. Implement control and protection schemes when exposed to real-world grid operating conditions.
- 2D/3D magnetic property testers
- Measure and collect raw data of advanced electromagnetic materials for in-depth mechanism understanding and proper mathematic models, which are crucial for developing high-performance electromagnetic devices like electrical machines and transformers.
- Electrical machines test benches
- Measure major parameters and characteristics of electrical generators and motors, e.g. motor torque-speed curves for EV drives.
- Conducted Electromagnetic Interference/Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMI/EMC) testing facility
- Test both ac/dc electrical and electronic equipment to reach pre-compliance with national and international safety standards.
- 30kVA 4-quadrant AC power supply
- Interface with PHIL for power inverter design, testing and analysis of energy flow, power quality, stability, etc.
- 80kW battery emulator for high-voltage batteries
- Test battery systems with programmable internal resistance, current, voltage and power, as well as fast load changes
- Engineering samples and prototyping
- Product testing and report
- Switching power supply and consumer electronics design
- Wireless power transfer technologies
- Power systems and microgrid modelling and simulations
- Power electronics circuits and systems development including soft-switching converter and multilevel inverter topologies
- DC power line communications
- Renewable energy and hybrid energy storage systems integration
- Optimal energy control
- Electric machines and electric drive systems design
- Electromagnetics study and analysis
- Magnetic materials design
- Conducted electromagnetic interference (EMI) testing